8/26/06

Sammy's Birthday Party at the CASPCA, Sat., Aug. 26, 2006

Posted by Picasa Hey! It's my birthday!

I'm Sammy, the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA's shelter cat. I came to the shelter in the fall of 2000. I had been living in the streets, scrounging for food and a warm place to sleep. Thank goodness someone brought me to the shelter! I had a gash in my neck, diabetes, bad fleas, ringworm, and allergies that caused me to scratch myself up. Even after the vet and her staff treated all my problems, I still looked pretty scruffy, I must admit. Well, after I had been living at the shelter for a few months, the staff fell in love with me. (What can I say? Look at that face!) I've lived there upstairs to this day. I earn my keep, though. I attend board and staff meetings, can open all the doors (love that toilet water!), and test all the dogs in here for cat aggression.

Sadly, there are cats out there less fortunate than I. And every spring and summer, our shelter welcomes more than 400 homeless cat and kittens each and every month!

Being the generous guy that I am, instead of birthday gifts for me, I'm asking for a very special gift from you to help my furry friends. I would like to give my friends at the shelter the gift of food. For a whole year! Did you know it costs over $20,000 to feed all the shelter animals for a year? Your kind gift will defray the costs of feeding us, so that more money can be spent on saving the lives of the thousands of animals who come to us each year. Your contribution saves lives.

And I'll even thank you in person! Come to my birthday party at the CASPCA (3355 Berkmar Drive) in Charlottesville between noon and 4:00 pm, on Saturday, August 26th. We'll sing "Happy Birthday" at 2:00. There will be cake, snacks, and most importantly, ME!